Issues/Solutions with Droid Bionic
I purchased my Droid Bionic just a couple of days ago, Sunday Sept 25. I've had a reasonably good experience with it in that short time,
but I've encountered one major problem so far. It took me hours of searching online to learn anything about solutions, so hopefully this will help someone else...
UPDATE: The above solution (turning off WMM) didn't solve my problem. In the end I had to go back to TKIP. To minimize the amount of TKIP traffic on my network, I upgraded the firmware on my router to support a "guest" SSID in addition to my usual one. One SSID requires TKIP, the other AES - both are secured and the TKIP one is only used for Android traffic. A poor solution but until I upgrade my router (DD-WRT routers *may* not have this problem), it'll have to be good enough.
- WiFi connectivity: Shortly after I got the phone and started using it at home, my home network started to get a bit flaky. It has always been very reliable, but I started seeing network "freezing" - devices on the network would be unable to connect, though they would still see strong wireless signal. Power-cycling (unplug/re-plug) my wireless router would solve the problem, but before then, I wouldn't even be able to establish a connection with the router's web-configuration page. Certainly seemed like a router issue, but stimulated by the only new thing in the network - my phone. My set-up:
- D-Link DIR-655, hardware version A3, firmware 1.11 (yes - old, but it's always worked and I've avoided issues with later firmware releases).
- Configured with WPA2, automatic channel selection, mixed n/g/b, 20 MHz channel width, cipher-type TKIP or AES, WMM checked (on)
After some reading I found that Android has a long-standing issue which causes trouble with WPA2/AES. I also read a recommendation to turn off auto-channel selection and set it to channel 11 (perhaps to avoid possible interference with the phone's use of channel 1 to create its own network?). I tried setting to a fixed channel and that didn't help - had to reset the router after less than an hour.
Setting to TKIP seemed to help, but left me worried - TKIP has a known flaw which makes it too easy to break.
Further investigation finally led me to this thread, which indicated that it might be the interaction between a bug in Android's WiFi drivers and WMM (also known as 801.11e, which in turn is required for 802.11n speeds higher than 54Mbps). I decided to switch the router to AES but turn off WMM (on my router it's under Advanced -> Advanced Wireless -> WMM Enable).... and now I'll see if that helps. 54Mbps is fast enough for basically all of my needs anyway - and when it's not, faster speeds can always be acheived over the wire (up to 1Gbps).
This page last updated on Sunday, October 9 2011 @ 1:44:32 am.